Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Gardening Daybook

Outside my window...
Wildflowers!  I love looking out the window and seeing the hillside dotted with flowers.  June and July are always filled with color!  New and different flowers seem to bloom each week.  In May it was tiny yellow buttercup.  Now Oregon grape and its yellow flower clusters are waning as white yarrow dots the grassy meadow areas.  Purple lupine is next.  Beautiful!

I am thankful for...
The sun!!!  It has been raining lately and today is sunny and absolutely gorgeous!

I am thinking about...
Food.  Well, not exactly food, as in food, but rather food choices in terms of health and budget.  It is a conundrum to say the least.  The more I read about what I should be eating, the less I know about what to eat!  Eat this, but not that, unless this.  What???  Grains are bad.  Grains are good.  Legumes are poisonous.  Legumes are one of the healthiest options. Buy organic.  Only buy these organic foods.  Organic labeling is a scam, buy the cheaper local choice.   Help!!  There are so many ideas out there it is hard to discern the truth. 

Learning all the time...
Did you know you can over-water cucumber plants?  Yep!  You can.

From the kitchen...
Nothing too exciting here.  I am back in the rut.  I am not feeling creative or motivated, now that I think about it.  Summer means BBQ, right?  That means Dan cooks.  That means my dinner helper makes a salad.  That means the honeydew melon or watermelon I cut up yesterday can round out the meal.  That means I don't have to cook.  See?  Rut! 


I am creating...
Summer goals.  I am making a list of all the things I really want to do over the next few months.  High on the list.....make homemade ice cream!

I am working on...
Gardening.  This is no easy feat, by the way.  I am not a gardener.  I would love it if some kind of gardening fairy would take care of it all.  I love the results, but getting there is a different story. 




Lettuce and Herbs.
Zucchini!
Peppers!  Banana, Red, Green Bell, and Jalapeno varieties!
Walla Walla Sweet Onions!
And of course, tomatoes. 


I am going...
To replace my dead cucumbers.  Apparently, there is no gardening fairy. 


I am hoping...
My garden does not end up like the herb garden I tried earlier this year.



Yes, they eventually all died.  I told you I was not a gardener.  Okay.  It is harder than it looks.  You can stop laughing now.  Really.

I am reading...
7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess by Jen Hatmaker.  This book is really making me think.  She is hilarious.  It is a fun read, but has a strong important message.

Organized Simplicity by Tsh Oxenreider.  I am really enjoying this book.  Makes me want to clean. 

The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains by Nicholas Carr.  I know I read some very random things, but this is a great book so far!

I am praying for...
Guidance in new adventures.
Discernment for God's will in the paths we take.

I am hearing...
Absolute quiet in the mornings.  The kids are all working this week at a science camp, so it is just me and my cup of coffee.

Around the house...
I am deep cleaning! Hmmm, could this be the result of my reading choices?  I am going through each room and purging.  How do we accumulate so much stuff? 

One of my favorite things...
Sea Salt and Turbinado Sugar Dark Chocolate Almonds from Trader Joe's.  Divine!  Absolutely Divine.  Another favorite?  Dark Chocolate Almond Cherry Clusters from Costco.  Yes, chocolate is my favorite thing.

A few plans for the rest of the week...
The girls are headed to an International Dance Festival to perform.  I have plans for a top secret project that I can’t wait to start.  I will share more later when it is no longer secret
J

Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you...
Baby Robins.  Awesome!

1 comment:

  1. You can tell me! I am (cough) SUPER good at keeping secrets. ;)

    Your gardens look great. Great picture of the robins.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...